Good start on the Charter of Rights. Finish researching over the weekend and bring all information to school ready to represent it with a group. See criteria: what is your right? define it with examples, etc.
Math gr.7 pg. 178 #4-9
Test on Thursday
Read section 3 and blog on this page.
for readers of the cay, I can answer any questions, but I won't be posting any of my questions or wows until monday after school because I forgot my book at school on friday, its not a big loss because I finished reading section 3 on thursday, but my stickies with my questions and wows on them are at school, so please post any questions and wows below this.
ReplyDeletei also forgot my book at school.
DeleteSo did I... I am very forgetfull. I will post questions and wows Monday just like Jess or if we have computers then I will at that time. But two really shockings wows popped out at me I will have to share. Jess or Kayla, you guys will probably have the same ones. But Jess if you can, can you help me answer some questions Monday...? Please and thankyou.
Deleteok, now that i have my book, here are my questions and my wow.
DeleteWOW! phillip wants to know if timothy is still black.
Q.what is malaria?
A.a potentially fatal blood disease.
Q.what is a tempest?
A.a deadly wind storm that is commonly accompanied by rain or hail.
Q.when timothy says that in the fall, freak storms are bred in a triangle, does he mean the Bermuda triangle?
A.probably, because the Bermuda triangle is the only triangle i know of with dangerous storms like the ones that timothy was telling phillip about at the time.
and Emma, it is me and Winnie, and i will help you answer your questions, kayla's blogging name is (kayla).
Malaria is a disease that is pass on by mosquitoes
Deletethanks winnie!
DeleteHere are my wow's and questions. More wows then questions.
DeleteWows:
1)I could feel the rain, which was now jabbing into me like the punches of a nail.
2)I, to, was completely nakes. The wind and sea had torn out tatters of clothes from us.
3)In my world of darkess, I had learned that holding a hand could be like medicine.
4)Old Timothy of Charlotte Amalie was dead. Then I cried for a long time, holding Stew Cat tight. Aside from him, I was blind and alone on a forgotten Cay.
5)I said, ``thank you Timothy``, and then turned my face to the sky. In said, ``take care of him, God, he was good to me.
5)Then one pecked my forhead sharply, near my eyes, and I feld blood run down my face.
Questions:
1)Did Stew cat get taken to sea durring the storm?
Answer: No he didnt. Philip found him later after the storm.
nice wows Emma, but for number 2 it should be naked not nakes.
DeleteSPOILER ALERT-------SPOILER ALERT-------
ReplyDeleteWow- I can't believe that Punky died. First Shirley and Sam, now Punky!
SPOILER ALERT-------SPOILER ALERT-------
Q-What is a sock-hop
A-Some sort of dance
Q-Who's the new baby? - from section 2
A-The new Shackleford, Elmira who had delayed Tree from going to the sock-hop with Delrita
Wow-Avanelle's Dad was in jail because his friend told him to move his furniture, but it wasn't his friends furniture so he was accused of stealing. Do they have legal rights?
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delete---The Man Who Loved Clowns---
DeleteBrian's question for "wow": "Do they have legal rights?" I believe they did have legal rights just the judge didn't believe him because he didn't have enough evidence.
Wow: It made me so unhappy when I read that Punky died. Why? First Delrita loses her mom and dad, but now she loses her uncle (also one of her best friends).
Does Susie think everyone's her "boyfwiend" (boyfriend)?
Quote, pg 162: "I like Punky," said Susie. "He's cute. He's my boyfwiend."
Attempted Answer: Yes, I think Susie thinks everyone's her boyfriend. Why? page 156 says that Delrita recognized her as the girl who like Corky on TV, also because she's in the sheltered workshop (she has problems).
I also have a connection. I once thought my brother was doing a prank on me, but after I figured out he wasn't. This connection was made when I read that Delrita thought Tree was pulling a prank on her when Mike phoned and told her that Tree had to babysit so Tree couldn't go to the dance with her. Later she figured out that Tree's mom had a baby and he actually had to babysit. She sadly figured this out right after she yelled at Tree in front of McDonald's leaving people stare at Tree while Delrita stored off.
DeleteShe sadly figured this out right after she yelled at Tree in front of McDonald's leaving people stare at Tree while Delrita *stormed* off.
DeleteSPOILER ALERT
ReplyDeleteWow- I'm surprised because Jonas risked and gave up everything for the town
Q- Did Gabe die?
A- Maybe. Notsure beccause it doesn't exactly say he died in the book...
Q- Did the towns people get the memory and by Giver's help, get better?
A- Probably. At the end Jonas thinks he hears music which the town never had is their direction
The Giver
ReplyDeleteA readers guide
http://www.randomhouse.com/teachers/guides/give.html
Other link(s)
http://www.bookrags.com/notes/giv/
Questions:
pg.131 ch.17 ~ Q:Why did Jonas stop taking the Stirrings?
Attempted answer: Maybe because he really wants there to be feelings instead of Sameness.
pg.135 ch.17 ~ Q:Why can't Jonas give memories to anyone else besides Gabe?
Attempted answer: Maybe because Gabe is only a baby and he doesn't know about the Sameness yet since he is not old enough. Also, Jonas only gave pleasant memories to Gabe, no painful memories.
pg.154 ch.20 ~ Q:Why do they call it "Release" when they get killed?
Attempted answer: Maybe because when they are killed it's like they are being set free, or in other words, they are "Released".
pg.166 ch.21 ~ Q:Why does Jonas take Gabe with him on his journey?
A: He's going to create a future. Babies represent the future in the same way children represent the future to adults. Jonas takes the baby so the baby's life will be saved, but he takes the baby also in order to begin again with a new life.
pg.179 ch.23 ~ Q:Why does Lois Lowry leave the ending like that?
A: The Giver is many different things to people. She doesn't want to ruin the ending with her own feelings.
Wow!:
He forced his eyes open as they went downward, downward, sliding and at once he could see lights, and he recognized them now. He knoew they were shining through the windows of rooms, that they were red, blue, and yellow lights that twinkled from tress in places where families created and kept memories, where they celebrated love. Downward, downwared, faster and faster. Suddenly he was aware with certainty and joy that they were waiting for him; and that they were waiting, too, for the baby. For the first time, he heard something that he knew to be music. He heard people singing. Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps it was only an echo.
As he continued to watch, the newchild, no longer crying, moved his arms and legs in a jerking motion. Then he went limp. His head fell to the side, his eyes half open. Then he was still. With an odd, shocked feeling, Jonas recognized the gestures and posture and expression. They were familiar. He had seen them before. But he couldn't remember where.
Jonas stared at the screen, waiting for something to happen, but nothing did. The little twin lay motionless. His father was putting things away. Folding the blanket. Closing the cupboard.
Once again, as he had on the playing field, he felt the choking sensation. Once again he saw the face of the light-haired, bloodied soldier as life left his eyes. The memory came back.
He killed it! My father killed it! Jonas said to himself, stunned at what he was realizing. He continued to stare at the screen numbly.
The Giver
ReplyDeleteDid Jonas die?
Did Gabe die?
What is in elswhere?
-I think a community like ours.
Does elsewhere exist?
-I think it does.
Was the elsewhere just a hallucination from hunger and thirst?
-I dont think so.
WOW
My wow is the fact that when they release people they dont send them to another community, they die! This was when Jonas' dad had to release the newchild and instead of sending him somewhere else, he gave him a shot and killed him.
" The man who loved clowns "
ReplyDeleteMy questions got answere- Thank you to Atid
Here are my answered questions I had:
Who is Susie? Answer- A girl with Down sydrome
Why was Avanelle embaressed for her friends to read the letter? - because she didnt want her friends to know her dad was in jail
Here is my question With no answer but I have a attempted answer
What is a mud matt? Maybe its a matt with mud on it..
Here is my wow
Wow! Punky died! :(
The end of the book was very sad because Punky died but Aunt Queenie and Uncle burt were nicer in the end and I think I noticed they cared about Punky all along.
Good questions Jim! What do you think readers of the Giver? What else is a good explanation? Is he dreaming? Or the hallucination idea? Is this community real and are Jonas and Gabe safe?
ReplyDeleteQ: why was the rule you can't ask for release not in Rosemary's rules but it Jonas's?
ReplyDeleteA: This question i found the answer in the book. it is because when Rosemary left sll the memories transported back to the people of the communitys' mind and caused alot of chaos and grief because the peoploe had never experienced these feelings. They put that rule in for Jonas because they didnt want that sort of thing to happen again?
Q: Where does the dark, black chute lead to, which Gabe is thrown in after he is killed?
A:I think it leads to a burning chamber where the body is crementated, they wouldn't want the the body to rot.
Q: Why do they kill Elders when they released? Why not just let them die themselves?
A: when having our conversation in class Kay told me that it was sort of like mercy killing which they do to humans and animals in our community. Basically what it is, is they give you a shot that kills you instead of making you suffer and die. I think thats why they kill the Elders at a certain time. Also it may be to control the population.
Q: Where does Jonas and Gabe go at the?
A: this qestions reqired serious thinking so I asked my novel grouip and they all had differnt answers. For example, one person thought they went to Elsewhere. I think where they go is up to your imagination. It may be one of those books where trhe ending is up to you, you can make it be whatever you want it to be!
WOW:
pg 175: "As Jonas watched, a snowflake driffted down and was caught briefly for a moments sparkle in the tiny fluttering eyelashes."
"As he continued to watch, the newchild, no longer crying, moved his arms and legs in a jerking motion. Then he went limp. His head fell to the side, his eyes half open. Then he was still. With an odd, shocked feeling, Jonas recognized the gestures and posture and expression. They were familiar. He had seen them before. But he couldn't remember where." (same as cheska but decided to post it anyways)
I was on the verge of tears when they killed the helpless baby. So cruel they are!!! :(
Pit Pony
ReplyDelete(question)
1.How did explosion begin?(pg.93)
2.Why didn't Willy do anything when he knew that Simon spent the money away?(pg.103)